A buyer's guide to choosing the right BI analytics tool
A collection of articles that takes you from defining technology needs to purchasing options
The MicroStrategy 10 enterprise analytics and BI platform enables organizations to build and deploy analytical applications, including personalized reports, real-time dashboards and mobile applications. These applications can be accessed and shared across Web, desktop and mobile interfaces.
MicroStrategy 10 blends and analyzes information from simple spreadsheets, relational databases, cloud-based data sources and Hadoop clusters. It then displays information and data using visualization tools and dashboards, and also allows users to utilize predictive analytics tools.
MicroStrategy 10 provides business users with data discovery and dashboard design capabilities, as well as a tool that allows them to automate distribution of reports without the support of IT.
In addition to connecting to various data sources, the MicroStrategy platform provides native gateways and drivers to connect to any enterprise resource -- from databases to mobile device management, Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, active directories, cloud applications and physical access control systems.
The MicroStrategy 10 software developer kit includes tools and utilities to help companies customize and extend MicroStrategy functionality, as well as embed analytics into a variety of interfaces. The platform can also connect with data integration tools, such as those from Informatica. MicroStrategy enables users to add functionality that may not come out of the box through various plug-ins, gateways and integration paths.
New features include:
- A desktop component, which gives business users a data discovery tool that integrates into the wider enterprise environment for governed data discovery;
- A complete user interface redesign in HTML5 (eliminating Flash);
- Advances in performance and speed with new in-memory parallel processing and partitioning; and
- A native Hadoop connector for access to Hadoop Distributed File System data.
The MicroStrategy 10 enterprise analytics and BI platform is offered in five product versions:
- Desktop, which is a single-user, on-premise data discovery tool that lets users connect to, explore and visualize data on both Mac and PC.
- Web, which is a browser-based interface that allows business users to design and consume reports and dashboards.
- Mobile, which provides an interface for Apple iOS, Android and Blackberry devices that enables users to access analytics and mobile BI apps from a mobile device.
- Architect, which provides a set of development and migration tools that automate processes and manage the application through its lifecycle.
- Server, which is a full-featured server infrastructure designed to connect multiple data sources, support all analytics styles and scale to hundreds of thousands of users. Server also includes administration and monitoring tools to manage analytics deployments.
Pricing and support
MicroStrategy 10 includes several native gateways that enable integration with other corporate systems, applications and portals. The product runs on Windows, Oracle Solaris, IBM AIX, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Oracle Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. MicroStrategy also offers subscription-based licenses through the MicroStrategy Secure Cloud.
The enterprise analytics and BI platform can be purchased on a named-user basis or by core CPU licensing, and can be deployed on premises or via the MicroStrategy Secure Cloud.
On-premises pricing is as follows:
- Desktop is $600 per named user.
- Web and mobile are $600 per named user, or $300,000 per CPU core.
- Architect is $5,000 per named user.
- Server is $1,200 per named user, or $600,000 per CPU core.
Note: For Web and Server, each MicroStrategy CPU core typically supports between 500 and 1,000 users.
Cloud pricing is as follows:
- Desktop is $200 per named user.
- Web and mobile are $200 per named user, or $100,000 per CPU core.
- Architect is $1,670 per named user.
- Server is $400 per named user, or $200,000 per CPU core.
Note: Prices don't include infrastructure, hosting or support costs.
Both on-premises and cloud offerings of MicroStrategy 10 are sold direct or through software resellers, technology partners and OEMs.
A MicroStrategy enterprise evaluation edition includes a 30-day free trial and a 60-minute consultation that lets users try the entire platform. In addition, individuals can download a free trial of MicroStrategy Desktop.
MicroStrategy offers four technical support plans for on premises: Elite, Priority, Extended and Standard. MicroStrategy Professional Services is available to help with on-site engagements. For its cloud offering, MicroStrategy provides Pilot, Premier and Elite support.
Explore the different types of BI analytics tools
How can a BI analytics tool benefit my organization?
Learn how you can avoid data overload