A business intelligence (BI) dashboard or performance scorecard can be an easy-to-use tool for tracking business...
metrics and key performance indicators within an organization. As a result, more and more companies are looking to equip their corporate executives and other business users with BI dashboards and scorecards offering data visualization and drill-down analysis capabilities.
But building effective dashboards and scorecards isn’t a simple task. In this podcast interview, Kogent Corp.’s Brian Jordan discusses some of the common mistakes that organizations make on BI dashboard and scorecard projects and offers advice on how to ensure that the applications meet user expectations.
In the nine-minute podcast, listeners will:
- Hear Jordan’s take on the biggest mistake that companies make when designing BI dashboards and scorecards (01:15)
- Learn about other missteps that can put the success of BI dashboard and scorecard projects at risk (02:15)
- Get project management tips for avoiding common dashboard and scorecard design pitfalls (04:00)
- Find out how hard it is to design effective dashboards and scorecards and whether a lot of data visualization projects end up as failures (06:13)
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
Learn more about BI dashboards and performance scorecards:
- See seven real-life examples of effective dashboards and scorecards
- Read a book excerpt that provides 10 key performance indicator (KPI) templates for dashboard designs
- Find out how data visualization might help lead to pervasive BI
- Get tips for streamlining messy dashboard and scorecard designs
About the speaker: Brian Jordan is an executive vice president at Kogent Corp., a business intelligence consulting and data management services firm based in Santa Clara, Calif. He previously was a co-founder, partner and CEO of Business Intelligence Technology Advisors Inc., a professional services firm known as BITadvisors that Kogent acquired in June 2010. Jordan has more than a dozen years of experience in the BI industry and has held positions in consulting, technical sales, operations and management. (Editor’s note: Kogent’s acquisition of BITadvisors had yet to be announced when this podcast was recorded.)