There's no substitute for advice from your business intelligence (BI) peers, those who have been battling in the BI trenches for years. So SearchDataManagement.com recently sat down with Howard Dresner to discuss a new survey he's conducted called The Wisdom of Crowds Business Intelligence Market Study. In it, Dresner asked participants -- BI pros from around the world and from various industries -- to relate and rank their experiences with their BI vendors, both good and bad.
In this podcast, Dresner reveals his goals for the study and unveils some preliminary findings, including some of the top issues BI pros have with their BI vendors.
In this 12-minute podcast, appropriate for both business and IT professionals, listeners will:
- Discover why Dresner thinks BI pros can learn a lot from their peers (1:10).
- Find out why BI pros are frustrated with the integration of BI tools with third-party apps (3:20).
- Learn why survey participants don't feel they're getting what they pay for when it comes to consulting services from BI vendors (4:30).
- Discover why some BI vendors fail to understand their customers' business needs (5:35).
- Find out why, despite these concerns, more than 90% of BI pros would recommend their BI vendor to others (7:20).
- Get insights into some surprising larger trends in the BI market that Dresner has identified via the survey results (8:50).
- Learn how to use Dresner's survey results to better evaluate BI vendors (9:50).
About the speaker: Howard Dresner is founder and president of Dresner Advisory Services and author of Profiles in Performance: Business Intelligence Journeys and the Roadmap for Change. He spent 13 years at Gartner, where he was a research fellow and lead analyst for business intelligence. In 2005, Dresner left Gartner and joined Hyperion Solutions as chief strategy officer. When Oracle acquired Hyperion in early 2007, Dresner opted to start his own consultancy.
Download the podcast Third-party integration, consulting issues top Howard Dresner's BI market survey results
You must have Adobe Flash Player 7 or above to view this content.See http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer to download now.
Download for later:
Third-party integration, consulting issues top Dresner's BI market survey
• Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
• Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
For more business intelligence news and advice
who topped Gartner's latest BI Magic Quadrant report
about Microsoft's upcoming business intelligence releases
out these expert forecasts for business intelligence software in 2010
about IBM's private analytics cloud for BI and data warehousing
- See why analysts say predictive analytics is the future of BI
This was first published in March 2010