This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
3. - Big data analytics videos: Read more in this section
- Shifting the conversation from big data management to analytics
- Big data analytics helps trucking company track its fleet
- Getting started with big data analytics
- Big data analytics combines mix of old, new technologies
- Is there something real behind the big data analytics hype?
- Tips for effective management of analytics programs
Explore other sections in this guide:
'Big data' analytics: Hype or the real thing?Date: Jul 02, 2012
“Big data” analytics gained a lot of momentum in 2011 as a potential way for companies to take full advantage of all the structured and unstructured data they’re collecting to help make sound business decisions -- and get competitive advantages over their business rivals. But is it all hype, or is there real business value to be gained by analyzing big data? To find out, SearchBusinessAnalytics.com Editorial Director Hannah Smalltree sat down with consultant Jill Dyche to ask her what the big deal is about big data.
In this five-minute video interview recorded at the Pacific Northwest BI Summit 2011 in Grants Pass, Ore., viewers will:
- Hear Dyche’s take on the big data phenomenon and whether it’s all hype or not
- Learn about the challenges companies can face when trying to start a big data analytics project
- Get advice on navigating the big data analytics seas
- Find out if a business intelligence competency center (BICC) should own the big data analytics process