This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
5. - Big data analytics videos : Read more in this section
- Shifting the conversation from big data management to analytics
- Big data analytics helps trucking company track its fleet
- Getting started with big data analytics
- Big data analytics combines mix of old, new technologies
- Is there something real behind the big data analytics hype?
- Tips for effective management of analytics programs
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - Real-world experiences with big data analytics tools
- 2. - Opportunities and evolution in big data analytics processes
- 3. - News and perspectives on big data analytics technologies
Wayne Eckerson: Color effective analytics program managers purpleDate: Dec 03, 2012
In this video interview, Wayne Eckerson, a business intelligence consultant and director of research for TechTarget's Business Applications and Architecture Media Group, highlights findings from the research he conducted for his new book, Secrets of Analytical Leaders: Insights from Information Insiders.
Citing his conversations with analytics program managers who shared their experiences and advice with him, Eckerson offers a preview of what readers will find in the book, including answers to questions such as:
- What are the characteristics of a good analytical leader?
- What are the keys to managing a successful analytical process?
- What tools are needed to implement an effective analytics program?
For example, Eckerson discusses one of the strengths that he thinks all the analytics executives profiled in the book have in common. "They are the quintessential purple people," he says. "By that I mean they are not blue in the business or red in IT; they are actually a blend of both. They bring these two worlds together for business gain. That's really where they excel." In managing analytics programs, Eckerson adds, it's helpful to "know how to converse and work in each camp."
To read a chapter from Wayne Eckerson's new book, check out the links below:
- Creating effective analytical processes: Tips from analytics leaders
- Data-driven culture helps analytics team generate business value
- Analytics program requires adaptability, collaboration -- and results