To answer where are the analytics jobs, I turned to analytics expert and President and COO of InfoCentricity, Jeff Dandridge.
Business intelligence jobs: Regarding the industry:
- There continues to be huge demand for business intelligence jobs in financial services. Every client of mine seems to have at least one opening, if not many.
- Outsourcing to, or hiring in India, China, and emerging Europe by larger players is common. For example, GE Capital formed GenPact in India to support its US and international operations; Amex is big in India as well.
Business intelligence jobs: Regarding career potential:
- There are never enough analysts. Those who are business-oriented and can articulate the problems/results in business terms make a lot of money. They end up as execs, VPs and managers. Those who live in the numbers but can't communicate remain analysts.
- Backgrounds range from quantitative MBAs to stats/operations research/applied math to econometricians to biology, etc.
- The term "analyst" can mean a lot of things and the range of work varies greatly -- SQL queries to data mining to predictive modeling...
Dig Deeper on Business intelligence software
Related Q&A from William McKnight
There are loads of business intelligence tools out there on the market today. Our business intelligence expert provides some valuable resources for ... Continue Reading
Find out when you should use a DBMS with your data warehouse, and learn about the future of data warehousing data management and current state of ... Continue Reading
Find out how Oracle’s acquisition of Sun may affect Oracle data warehouse strategy and what it means for users. Also, see what role packaged BI ... Continue Reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.