IBM's SPSS predictive analytics tools consist of IBM SPSS Modeler and IBM SPSS Statistics. SPSS Modeler provides data mining and text analysis software, while SPSS Statistics is an integrated family of products. Both tools enable users to build predictive models and execute other analytics tasks.
The IBM SPSS Modeler targets users who have little or no programming skills. Users are provided with a drag-and-drop user interface, enabling them to build predictive models and perform other data analytics. Modeler can apply different processes and algorithms to help the user discover information hidden in the data. The tool can also assist in integrating and consolidating all types of data sets from dispersed data sources across the organization.
The IBM SPSS Statistics suite is an integrated set of products geared toward more professional data analysts. SPSS Statistics addresses the complete analytical process, from planning to data collection, analysis, reporting and deployment.
IBM SPSS Modeler features
Version 18 provides the following features:
- More than 30 base machine learning algorithms.
- Extensions that provide continued improvements for use with open source products, such as R and Python.
- Enhanced support for several multithreaded analytical algorithms, including Random Trees, Tree-AS, Generalized Linear Engine, Linear-AS, Linear Support Vector Machine and Two-Step-AS clustering.
- The ability to run a variety of Python and Spark machine learning, as well as other Python analytics libraries natively in Modeler without requiring the use of the Analytic Server, as was required in the previous version.
SPSS Modeler bundles are deployed on premises, and SPSS Modeler Gold is available as a cloud offering. The client front end of SPSS Modeler runs under Windows and macOS, while the server component runs on Unix, Linux and Windows.
IBM SPSS Modeler provides the following editions:
- SPSS Modeler Personal: A single-user desktop product.
- SPSS Modeler Professional: A desktop product that works with IBM SPSS Analytic Server, providing improved scalability and performance and enabling applications to be used across an organization.
- SPSS Modeler Premium: This edition includes advanced algorithms and capabilities, such as text analytics, entity analytics and social network analysis, that increase model accuracy with unstructured data.
- SPSS Modeler Gold: This edition provides analytical decision management, collaboration and deployment capabilities. SPSS Modeler Gold is also available as a cloud offering.
IBM SPSS Statistics features
SPSS Statistics version 24 includes the following new features:
- The ability to access more than 100 extensions, enabling users to take advantage of free libraries written in R, Python and SPSS syntax.
- The IBM SPSS Extension Hub to browse, download, update, remove and generally manage extensions.
- A major upgrade to the Custom Dialog Builder, enabling users to more easily build and install their own extensions. Enhancements include new controls and new properties for existing controls and several other improvements to the user interface.
- Improvements that enable users to more easily and quickly import and export data into SPPS Statistics.
- Improvements to the Custom Tables module, including new statistical functionality and customer-requested features.
IBM SPSS Statistics offers the following three editions (each with additional modules):
- SPSS Statistics Standard tools provide advanced statistical procedures that support linear and nonlinear statistical models, as well as predictive simulation modeling, which accounts for uncertain inputs, geospatial analytics and customized tables.
- SPSS Statistics Professional tools support data preparation, missing values and data validity, decision trees, and forecasting.
- SPSS Statistics Premium adds advanced analytical techniques, including structural equation modeling, in-depth sampling assessment and testing. This bundle also includes procedures that target direct marketing and high-end charts and graphs.
Pricing for the SPSS Modeler and SPSS Statistics predictive analytics tools vary depending on the bundle options, the number of users and the license period. SPSS Statistics is now available as a subscription option or a perpetual license. IBM offers free trials of both IBM SPSS Modeler and IBM SPSS Statistics.
Why the term unstructured data is a misnomer
How big data is changing data modeling techniques
Big data systems pose new challenges to data governance