The following excerpt about business intelligence project planning is from Business Intelligence Roadmap: The Complete...
Project Lifecycle for Decision-Support Applications
Business intelligence project planning: Things to consider
- Do we have a strong business sponsor? Do we have a backup business sponsor?
- Do we have stakeholders with whom we need to communicate regularly?
- How much time is the business representative committing to this business intelligence project? Is he or she assigned to this business intelligence project full-time, or will he or she be available on request only?
Business intelligence project scope and deliverables
- Did we receive a formal request for a business intelligence project?
- How detailed are the requirements?
- What are the requested deliverables?
- Can we implement the requested scope given the schedule and the available resources?
- Have we already performed a cost-benefit analysis?
- What is the expected return on investment (ROI)?
- How soon do we expect the ROI to materialize?
Business intelligence project infrastructure
- Did we review our technical and nontechnical infrastructure components?
- Does our infrastructure have any gaps?
- Which infrastructure components will we need to work on and deliver as part of the business intelligence project?
-- Which technical infrastructure components?
-- Which nontechnical infrastructure components?
Staffing and skills
- Have we already identified the team members?
- Do all team members have the skills needed to perform the responsibilities of their assigned roles?
- Should we schedule any training before the business intelligence project kickoff?
- Is the project manager assigned to this project full-time? Or does he or she have other administrative responsibilities? If the latter, who will take over those other responsibilities for the duration of this business intelligence project?