Business intelligence (BI) software has evolved far beyond basic query and reporting tools to complex, enterprise platforms, incorporating new functions like performance management and search. At the same time, the BI market has seen rapid growth and consolidation. Notably Oracle bought Hyperion, Business Objects plans to acquire Cartesis, and Microsoft purchased ProClarity and announced Performance Point Server.
This adds up to big challenges for organizations tasked with evaluating, purchasing and implementing business intelligence software. What's really important to consider in business intelligence software evaluations? What are the trends in software features, pricing and licensing? What are the critical questions to ask potential BI vendors? And how can an organization ensure that it invests in the right BI software, in a rapidly consolidating and evolving market?
In this 25-minute podcast, appropriate for both business and technical users, listeners will:
- Learn the three most important trends in the business intelligence software market and how they could affect purchasing decisions;
- Get tips for business intelligence software evaluations, learn how to effectively negotiate with vendors and find out trends in pricing and licensing;
- Find out how recent acquisitions will affect the market -- and learn how to protect business intelligence software investments;
- Hear advice for implementing business intelligence software and developing a BI roadmap.
Business intelligence software evaluations: Forrester analyst Boris Evelson shares trends and tips
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
About the expert: Boris Evelson, principal analyst with Forrester Research Inc., has more than 25 years of experience with enterprise software and applications implementation, management consulting, and strategic advisory skills. Most recently, Boris was a managing partner at Textra, a boutique strategic advisory firm. Boris spent several years as a vice president and a strategic technology advisor at JPMorgan/LabMorgan, advising the bank's large enterprise software clients on enterprise adoption issues and product and marketing strategies. Boris also served as a senior manager of data warehousing and customer relationship management (CRM) practices at PricewaterhouseCoopers.
For more on business intelligence software evaluations:
- Find out what experts say about whether to invest in business intelligence software -- or wait
In a shifting landscape of consolidating vendors and converging technologies, should companies wait to invest in business intelligence?
- Read Gartner's advice for negotiating with business intelligence software vendors
Business intelligence platforms are complex, expensive purchases. Gartner analysts offer helpful tips for getting the most for your money and avoiding hidden costs down the road.
For more data management podcasts Check out the SearchDataManagement podcast library, featuring podcasts about master data management, data quality, data integration, business intelligence and more
- Learn how Gartner's Magic Quadrant ranked business intelligence software vendors
Though the usual suspects continued to dominate the '07 Gartner Magic Quadrant for business intelligence platforms, technological changes may soon diminish their advantage.
- Get advice for calculating the return-on-investment of business intelligence software
Analysts from Gartner and Bloor, and an experienced end user, recommend best practices for calculating the hard ROI metrics and soft benefits of BI investments.
- Check out our BI All-In-One-Guide, with more articles and resources for business intelligence software evaluations
This learning guide introduces business leaders to the fundamentals of business intelligence (BI), a key technology to enable the "agile enterprise."